The purpose of grounds maintenance projects are to keep the property of homes, businesses, athletic facilities, schools, healthcare facilities, parks, gardens and so much more, in an orderly, healthy, pleasant looking outdoor environment.
The work is physically demanding and the appropriate grounds maintenance equipment and tools are required. Grounds maintenance equipment goes a long way in keeping outdoor and indoor environments, picture perfect. A grounds maintenance worker typically carries on the following activities:
- Maintain and monitor the health of plants
- Mow, edge, and fertilize lawns
- Plant shrubs, flowers, and trees
- Remove unwanted, dead, or damaged trees
- Trim small tree limbs, hedges, and shrubs
- Water lawns, landscapes, and gardens
- Weed and mulch landscape beds
Most grounds maintenance workers don't need a degree to work on varying landscapes because men and women are mostly trained on the job.
However, some employers may want a workers who is formerly educated or certified for their work, especially in museum, golf courses, horticulture, arboriculture
or other specific landscape designed environments. When it comes to handling pesticides, fertilizers, insecticides, herbicides, and fungicides, a grounds keeper, in most states, must be licensed.
Groundskeeping equipment comprises varied implements and vehicles used in groundskeeping, some of which includes the following:
● Edgers - A good edger depends on the size of the landscaped job. For large areas, a heavy-duty gas edger trimmer is perfect; for medium and small landscaped jobs, an electric edgers works very well. There are also battery-powered edgers, which are quiet and very effective. The great feature for edgers is that they are designed to be converted to other tool features, such as trimmers, cultivators and blowers.
● Lawn Mowers - Lawn mowers are the staple of any small or large landscaped environments. There are different types, such as the standard manual mowers which cuts grass evenly and keeps the area well manicured, with a little elbow grease. There is the electric cord mowers which runs quietly and a mulch bag can be added. The are designed to cut a narrow area of grass and are very eco-friendly, running on the electricity from a home or office. A battery operated mower contains a battery enclosed in its housing. Just keep this lawn mower plugged in to recharge, flip a switch, and cut the lawn effectively. Also, a gas-powered mower is powerful and dependable, but a little noisy.
● Leaf Blower - Leaf blowers, like a snow blower are a seasonal tool in grounds maintenance. Leaf blowers are styled as electric handheld, gas powered ? handheld and backpack, and push/self-propelled. Electric handheld blowers work in small landscape areas because of its compact size. Electric leaf blowers are quiet and operates with electricity or battery-powered. The gas powered handheld blowers operate without any electric cords and it is slightly heavy. A backpack leaf blower is powerful and is easily carried on the back of the user. They are also slightly heavy and are carried in a harness to distribute the weight. As a grounds maintenance equipment that is powerful, a push or self propelled leaf blower is perfect for larger landscaping jobs. Users push this blower like a lawn mower as it blows debris with a high power output and speed.
● Rakes - Ground maintenance workers use various rakes to use as an important grounds maintenance tool. Naturally, a leaf rake contains metal or plastic tines for raking leaves or straw and they are available in different widths. Other rakes includes the bow rake which is used to smooth out soil, a shrub rake is narrow for distributing mulch and to reach in between plants, a thatch rake is for aerating soil with sharp razor blades.
● Shovels - Shovels are another ground maintenance equipment that is regularly used. Digging shovels, drain spade shovels, scoop shovels, scraper shovels, and post hole digger shovels are a regular landscaping tool that can dig, plant, till, clear trenches, edge, and excavate columns of dirt.
● Tractors - Tractors are used in fields for landscaping, green keeping and a number of other industrial and residential maintenance jobs. Tractors are a key piece of grounds maintenance equipment that performs many duties, such as pulling objects, towing objects, drawing objects and moving objects. They are also used to help landscaping and greenway duties, such as; mowing, excavating, grading and planting. The various tractors in landscaping and other agricultural duties, include sub-compact utility tractors, compact utility tractors, utility tractors and specialty tractors. Specialty tractors can be customized to meet certain needs, such as mulching, excavating, or serve as a front end loader and a back hoe, landscaping equipment.